Monday, January 5, 2009

Resumes and Interviews

I quit the Olive Garden in January of last year. I quit because I began working at the dinner theatre up here and I didn't have enough hours to stay at Olive Garden. I worked at the theatre from January until March, when the show ended, and even though I was promised a job with the next show, I found myself jobless. This is March. I began my seemingly endless job search which has lasted 9 months now. I think it may be the end of my searching. 

In late November, I was bored one night and decided to look online for small schools that could be hiring teachers for the fall of 2009, that I could go to when I receive my Alternative License*( see below for explanation) to get hired. I need to work near Greeley, and I figured smaller schools would be more likely to hire slightly unqualified teachers (see below). In the midst of this search, I found a small school east of Greeley, in a tiny town called Kersey. Platte Valley Elementary School. I was searching their employment page and saw that they were looking for a teaching assistant, a position that doesn't require a degree, but is in a classroom. I applied. The application was ridiculous and took about 2 hours to complete, and I kind of cast it out of my mind.

This afternoon, while eating lunch at the Olive Garden, I got a phone call from Donald Beard, the principle at Platte Valley Elementary. I spoke with him and now I have a meeting with him tomorrow at 10 am. 

Shortly after my conversation with him, I decided that I should probably write up a resume. This is something I have never done. Long story short, I think it's a good resume. 

I am really excited about this job interview tomorrow. I will post about how it goes. 

Wish me luck!



* Alternative License program explanation:
Because I didn't want to be in college until I die, I have decided to pursue an alternative way to get the same thing done. I found out about an alternative license program through the Colorado Department of Education. With this program, I apply for a temporary license and upon acceptance I can look for a job, but the hiring school has to agree to mentor me for 1 year while I teach and earn money. At the end of the 1 year, if I pass the program, I will receive my 3 year license, which is the traditional license awarded to first time teachers. This will mean that I will be a real teacher.